This News page allows you to add an unlimited number of stories. They'll automatically be archived as new stories are added. Each one can have a picture.
02 August 2019REPORT A SUSPECTED HOUSE IN MULTIPLE OCCUPATION (HMO) CALL DDC's 24-HOUR HOTLINE 01327 302288
You may have recently seen the attached article which was published in Daventry Calling. A 24-hour hotline has been launched by Daventry District Council in a bid to improve living conditions for people in privately rented or shared housing.
If you do have any concerns about the condition of a privately rented property in the District or a home that you suspect could be a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), please let us know. You can contact us below:
Hotline: 01327 302288
The rental market plays an important role in providing housing for people living in our District, and HMOs provide cheaper accommodation for residents whose housing options are limited. However, they also pose greater risks than other types of accommodation for overcrowding and fire, which is why DDC is working to ensure that all HMOs are safe and properly licenced.
New laws introduced last year state that a licence is required for a HMO if:
• 5 or more people live in the property, and
• The tenants form more than 2 separate households or groups i.e. a couple and a family of three, and
• The tenants share facilities such as a bathroom and kitchen.
Do you live in or near a shared house? Signs to look out for include:
• Lots of different people living at the property or leaving/entering at different times.
• Issues of property disrepair – broken windows, water leaks, missing roof tiles, unkempt gardens.
• Pest infestations.
• Inadequate storage of rubbish.
• Lots of vehicles parked and visiting the property.
• Excessive noise coming from the property.
Report any concerns you may have in confidence and DDC will investigate further.